Orthopaedic Perspective regarding Operating on COVID-19 Positive Trauma Patients
As most of the orthopaedic procedures are Aerosol Generating Procedures (AGPs), the health care workers are potentially at an increased risk of exposure to COVID-19 during surgical procedures. We have presented the protocol that was followed during this lengthy essential trauma procedure. By meticulous pre-planning and following a comprehensive, robust and protocol-driven infection control workflow, the risk of exposure to the healthcare workers can be kept to a minimum.
2. World Health Organization. WHO Director-General’s opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 – 11 March 2020 [Internet] https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020
3. Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. Accessed 28 May 2020 at 21:00 Hours. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
4. Zhen Chang Liang, MBBS, MRCS, DipSpMed, PhD, MBA, Wilson Wang, MBBS, FRCS, DPhil, Diarmuid Murphy, MBBS, FRCS*, and James Hoi Po Hui, MBBS, MD, FRCS*; Novel Coronavirus and orthopaedic surgery: Early experience from Singapore. Investigation performed at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, National University of Singapore, National University Health System, - J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020;00:e1(1-5). http://dx.doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.20.00236
5. Guidance: COVID-19 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – Updated 10 April 2020. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control/covid-19-personal-protective-equipment-ppe
6. Guidance: Reducing the risk of transmission of CIVID-19 in the hospital setting-Updated 17 April 2020. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control/reducing-the-risk-of-transmission-of-covid-19-in-the-hospital-setting
7. Viswanath A, Monga P, Working through the COVID-19 outbreak: Rapid review and recommendations for MSK and allied heath personnel, Journal of Clinical Orthopaedics and Trauma. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2020.03.014
8. Updated Intercollegiate General Surgery Guidance on COVID-19 https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/coronavirus/joint-guidance-for-surgeons-v2/
Copyright (c) 2020 Acta Orthopaedica Et Traumatologica Hellenica
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.